Saturday 28 February 2015

My Essay

My Essay        

        Remorse was drowning me as tears trickled down my cheeks. I should have stayed with her in the ward, but why did I leave? It was too late to feel any regret or guilt. Today was the last day I would be seeing her, and she looked extremely pale. Her face wore an emotionless expression.
        Her eyes shut so tightly that it seemed like she was refusing to look me in the eye. I retreated from the box she laid in, still frustrated with myself. I should have listened; glimpses of the events played in my mind.
        "Son, your Grandma is fighting for her last breath, yet you're leaving for the movies?" my mum argued, attempting to knock some sense into that stubborn mind of mine. Adamant on my decision to hang out with my friends, I turned a deaf ear to her advice and stormed out of the ward. It seemed as though there was something holding me back, urging me to stay, but my ignorance could no longer be persuaded. It was a few hours of fun I experienced before an abrupt phone call interrupted everything.
        "Nat, where are you right now?" my mum hollered over the telephone, a sense of strong urgency in her tone. "Your grandma is struggling––" I hung up the call. I ignored every single one of their phone calls from then on till I returned to the hospital. I did not understand how I took my Grandma's company with me for granted. I arrived back at the hospital, still slowly sauntering back to my Grandma's ward. Standing in front of me was a depressing sight of my relatives and family sobbing non-stop. I hoped it was not what I pictured it out to be. I was in denial of reality.
        I dashed towards her hospital bed, shoving aside my relatives. She laid at an angle, motionless. I bellowed out loud, praying that it would shake her from the sleep she was soundly in. Moments passed and I continued standing there, waiting... Waiting for something that was never going to happen.
        This was when I took my parents' advice seriously ––– though it was too late to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment