Sunday 18 January 2015

The Examples of Poems

1) Rhymes 
2) Alliteration

Nurse, Nurse I have an owie
 I don’t’ know what to do 
Because it’s getting soggy 
Please tell me that you do 

Nurse, Nurse I think I have a coco 
I tell you, man it hurts 
I feel it’s driving me darn loco 
Although it comes in spurts 

Nurse, Nurse I think I sprained my pinky 
My pencil fell and as I leaned 
I smelled myself a little stinky 
But help me please and I promise I’ll get cleaned

 Nurse, Nurse I think I hit my head 
As I stood up my brain was spinning 
And I felt a bump and feel I’m dead 
Help me please I want to play 9 innings 

Nurse, Nurse I feel a little down 
They said they didn’t like me 
They’re making ugly sounds 
Please tell them, they need to let me be 

Nurse, Nurse I’m back at school today 
You made feel much better 
I want to work and play 
But most of all, to tell you you’re the best

Read more at: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poems/about/alliteration_school_poems

3) Simile

Your teeth are like stars;
They come out at night.
They come back at dawn
When they’re ready to bite.
4) Metaphor 

The sun went away
The sky went black
Up came the wind
I fell on my back

It started to rain
I began to sink
Then I lifted my head
And took a drink

I perked myself up
And said "please don't cry"
And wiped off my petals
Until they were dry

The clouds soon parted
And out came the sun
The beauty in me
Has only begun.
5) Hyperbole

Appetite

In a house the size of a postage stamp
lived a man as big as a barge.
His mouth could drink the entire river
You could say it was rather large
For dinner he would eat a trillion beans
And a silo full of grain,
Washed it down with a tanker of milk
As if he were a drain.

6) Personification

There's a cat named Joe and you wouldn't want to know
But he thinks he'd like to be a Hippopotamus
And it sounds very strange, and he really wants to change
And in that way he's just like a lot of us
Oh, it wouldn't be so bad if he was certified as mad
But he's not... he holds a normal conversation
It's just that within he's in a different kind of skin
And it causes him a lot of botheration

7) Free Verse

After the Sea-Ship by Walt Whitman 

After the Sea-Ship—after the whistling winds;
After the white-gray sails, taut to their spars and ropes,
Below, a myriad, myriad waves, hastening, lifting up their necks, 
Tending in ceaseless flow toward the track of the ship: 
Waves of the ocean, bubbling and gurgling, blithely prying,
Waves, undulating waves—liquid, uneven, emulous waves,
Toward that whirling current, laughing and buoyant, with curves, 
Where the great Vessel, sailing and tacking, displaced the surface;

8) Imagery

The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
And now a gusty shower wraps
The grimy scraps
Of withered leaves about your feet
And newspapers from vacant lots;
The showers beat
On broken blinds and chimney-pots,
And at the corner of the street
A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.
And then the lighting of the lamps.

9) Onomatopoeia  

Mom & Dad Are Home

Slam! Slam!
Go the car doors.
Jangle! Jangle!
Go the house keys.
Jiggle! Jiggle!
Go the keys in the door.
Squeak!
Goes the front door!
Thump! Thump!
That is me running down the stairs.
Guess what?
Mom and Dad are home!!

10) Symbolism 

This place, inside, where all my feelings keep. That lies somewhere between my heart and soul. Should I, the guardian of my fortress seek, Protection from those, who would see them stole. So many times have you this bastion breeched, With scant regard for all the dangers posed. That my hopes and dreams should not be reached, By eyes that only wish my heart exposed. These inmates with their liberty restrained. That strive against their shackles and their chains. Am I their jailor too cautious to be blamed, To free them no matter what their claims. And if freeing them should reveal my heart, I might be also freed.. my life to start

Read more at: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poems/best/symbolism




























No comments:

Post a Comment