Saturday 17 January 2015

Poem Examples



Rhythm:

December Leaves 
by Kaye Starbird

The fallen leaves are cornflakes
That fill the lawn's wide dish
And night and noon
The wind's a spoon
That stirs them with a swish

The sky's a silver sifter
A-sifting white and slow,
That gently shakes
On crisp brown flakes
The sugar known as snow.


Alliteration:

goulish, grimy, green-gilded Smee
frrightened; for he's fighting me
my sword was all i stowed with me
me from him and him from me
so i erased the essence of him end my victory
and i took off his head- a terrific trophy
for the kids and kinsfolk caressing it's knee
for the kids and the kinsfolk awaiting for me.
seven super soldiers had he
the fight fell short from a frightened flee
i stood not seeing him safe and free
i chased down the cheer-charrer hiding from me
i brought it back - a bundle of glee
yes i brought back the body- a bundle of glee

-Unknown 

Symbolism:
My heart leaps up when i behold
by William Wordsworth
My heart leaps up when I behold

A rainbow in the sky 
Spring and daisies means youth in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
In the spring, I asked the daisies
If his words were true,
And the clever, clear-eyed daisies
Always knew.
Brown and barren means growing old in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
Now the fields are brown and barren,
Bitter autumn blows,
Bitter autumn means death in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
Now the fields are brown and barren,
Bitter autumn blows,
And of all the stupid asters
Not one knows.
Imagery:
Preludes
by T.S. Elliot



The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
And now a gusty shower wraps
The grimy scraps
Of withered leaves about your feet
And newspapers from vacant lots;
The showers beat
On broken blinds and chimney-pots,
And at the corner of the street
A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.  
And then the lighting of the lamps.


No comments:

Post a Comment