Monday 19 January 2015

Poetic Devices - Edison Lin

Poetic devices


1) LimeRick

There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'

2)Onomatopoeia
Clap! Clap!
Stomp! Stomp!
Swish! Swish!
This is the way we get through
Our games.
The crowd shouts,
”Yahoo!”
The ball soars through the air.
Then, bounce, bounce, bounce.
The audience holds its breath.
SWISH!
The ball goes in; 
We win!

3)Rhymes

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith
I love thee with a love I seem to love
With my lost saints, - I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
4)Alliteration
Betty Botter bought some butter, but, she said, the butter’s bitter; if I put it in my batter it will make my batter bitter, but a bit of better butter will make my batter better.
5)Free Verse

A smile becomes too hard too hold When waterlogged and under pressure So my face crumples in And folds up into new patterns I've never never let you see before Transparent as rice paper, delicate; Not so graceful as a paper crane Near as fleeting as a paper boat Vanishing downstream

Read more at: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/oragami_519999

6)Metaphor

I am one of many
Small branches of a broken tree
Always looking to the ones above
For guidance, strength and security....

Source: http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poems/other/metaphor/#ixzz3PGyIvpPu
Family Friend Poems 


7)Personification
Hey diddle, Diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such sport,

And the dish ran away with the spoon.
8)Symbolism



    My heart leaps up when I behold
    A rainbow in the sky 
    Spring and daisies means youth in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
    In the spring, I asked the daisies
    If his words were true,
    And the clever, clear-eyed daisies
    Always knew.
    Brown and barren means growing old in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
    Now the fields are brown and barren,
    Bitter autumn blows,
    Bitter autumn means death in Sara Teasdale’s “Wild Asters”:
    Now the fields are brown and barren,
    Bitter autumn blows,
    And of all the stupid asters
    Not one knows.
    9) Imagery

    The winter evening settles down
    With smell of steaks in passageways.
    Six o'clock.
    The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
    And now a gusty shower wraps
    The grimy scraps
    Of withered leaves about your feet
    And newspapers from vacant lots;
    The showers beat
    On broken blinds and chimney-pots,
    And at the corner of the street
    A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.
    And then the lighting of the lamps.

























    No comments:

    Post a Comment