Saturday 17 January 2015

Poetic devises and their examples

Examples of rhyming words: hat, cat, mat
Examples of Alliteration: Becky's beagle barked and bayed, becoming bothersome for Billy
Examples of Onomatopoeia: Bang, bellow, slam, bark,bash, achoo e.t.c
Examples of Similes: As hungry as a bear, as proud as a peacock, like an angry lion
Examples of Metaphors: Jane is a snake. Mark is a beast. When it comes to boasting, Alex is a peacock.
Examples of Hyperbole: I've told you a million times. I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. She screamed the house down.
Examples of Personification: The stars danced playfully in the dark sky night. The sun glared down on me.
Example of Simbolism: Poem: Ah Sunflower, weary of time
                                                   Who countest the steps of the sun;
                                                   Seeking after that sweet golden clime,
                                                   Where the traveller's journey is done;
Example of Imagery: A host of golden daffodils;
                                   Beside a lake, beneath the trees,
                                   Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.             
                                   Continuous as the stars that shine
                                   And twinkle on the Milky Way
 Example of Free verse: I buried my father in my heart.
                                    Now he grows in me, my strange son,
                                    My little root who won’t drink milk,
                                    Little pale foot sunk in unheard-of night,
                                    Little clock spring newly wet
                                    In the fire, little grape, parent to the future
                                    Wine, a son the fruit of his own son,
                                   Little father I ransom with my life.
Example of Allusion: I was surprised his nose wasn't growing like Pinnocchio's
Example of Rhythms: Trochee -- the Trochee is one stressed syllable followed by one unstressed syllable, as in the word: CON-quer.

No comments:

Post a Comment