Saturday 17 January 2015

Examples of Poetic Devices

Examples of:
- Rhyme truck, stuck, duck, luck
- Alliteration busy as a bee, out of order, make a mountain out of a molehill
- Onomatopoeia splash, cling, ding, clatter
- Simile as brave as a lion, as strong as an ox, sleep like a log
- Hyberbole older than the hills, so hungry I could eat a horse, brain is the size of pea
- Personification the stars danced playfully, time creeps up on you, the wind howled its mighty objection
- Symbolism time is money, roses stand for romance, black symbolises death and evil
- Imagery eerie silence was shattered by her scream, fumed and charged like an angry bull

Rhyme:
I saw a little frog,
He was cuter than can be.
He was sitting on a log, 
And I'm sure he croaked at me. 

Alliteration:
One waterfall whirled water around,
Two tigers trenched through the town.
Three thunderstorms thinned thatched houses,
Four fireworks flies fast.
Five fish flew for safety.
Six shepherds shelter sheep,
Seven shooting stars shoot into the sky.
Eight elephants echo to the eclipse,
Nine nagging nannies nag their way to New York.
And ten tortoises tap-dancing to town.

Onomatopoeia:
Tick tock little clock,
Ticka ticka ticka toc,
How can I make you stop?
How can I tell if you are clumping your hands,

All around your clock face?
I just don't understand.
You make sounds,
Like tring and buzz and cuckoo.
Tell me little clock,
Oh! Excuse me. 
Achoo!

Simile:
A head like a snake,
A neck like a drake.
As straight as beam, 
As fast as a bream.
A foot like a cat,
A tail like a rat. 
As graceful as a horse, 
As powerful as a G-Force.

Hyperbole:
Oh, I'm Dirty Dan, the world's dirtiest man,
I never have taken a shower.
I can't see my shirt -- it's so covered with dirt.
And my ears have enough to grow flowers.

Personification:
The fog comes on little cat feet.
It sits looking over harbour and city,
On silent haunches and then moves on.

Symbolism:
A dark cloud hangs above me.
It stays there all day long.
It comes every September, 
And stays till June is gone.
At times it stops for sun breaks, 
That just aren't long enough.
And so I wait for summer -- it's free of such dark stuff.

Imagery:
Roots going down, reaching...
Through damp Earth deep down,
Down holding me here.

My great yet round trunk... Massive and slender,
Solid yet yielding, carrier of life.

My long limbs, stretching out for space.
Tips tickled by the wind, touched by the Sun.

Roots anchored deep, limbs lofty high.
I abide in both worlds... Of Earth and sky.

Free-Verse:
Bring me all of your dreams,
You dreamers.
Bring me all of your heart melodies,
That I may wrap them,
In a blue-cloud cloth,
Away from the too rough fingers, 
Of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment